You enable the document ID service on a site collection and go into document ID settings to set an ID for all documents on the site collection, but no document ID appears when you view properties.
I had to do all of these things before the document ID column appeared:
- Enable the feature on the site collection.
- Site Settings -> Site Collection Administration -> Site Collection Features -> Document ID Service. Activate.
- Start the Document ID feature
- Site Settings -> Site Collection Administration -> Document ID settings.
- Check the Assign Document IDs checkbox and click on OK.
- Adjust the default content type read/write.
- Site Settings -> Site Collection Administration -> Content Type Publishing
- Check the box for Refresh all published content types on next update, click on OK.
- Run some Timer Jobs in Central Administration
- Central Administration -> Monitoring -> Review Job Definitions
- Change the view to Web Application and choose the Web application that contains the site where you want to see the document ID service
- Run: Content Type Subscriber
- Run: Document ID enable/disable job
- Run: Document ID assignment job