Here is a brief walk-through of creating a custom form using InfoPath. I am using InfoPath 2010 and SharePoint 2013.
- Create a SharePoint Custom List and add some fields. For the purpose of demonstration, I just added some site columns.
- Click on List in the ribbon, then choose Customize Form (in the Customize List section)
- InfoPath will launch with your fields from the SharePoint list in the form. Arrange them how you like. Add section dividers, explanations... I even took off a field that I have a workflow tool filling out after the item is submitted and I don't want the user to touch directly.
- I found the form was missing a Submit button. On the Home tab, expand the Controls section and click on Button(in the Objects section)
- Right-click the button and choose properties. Choose Submit for Action, then click on OK.
- Publish the form template back to SharePoint. In InfoPath, click on the Home tab and choose Quick Publish. Make sure your SharePoint site location is listed.
- The next time you click on New Item from that list, you will be editing the InfoPath form.