Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

SharePoint 2013 Error Trying to Start Search: SearchServiceInstance is not found on server

Issue:
When trying to start a service application via PowerShell (in my case, I was trying to start search), you get and error message.  "Start-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance : SearchServiceInstance is not found on server"
Problem:
After spending way longer on this than I feel happy about admitting, the issue is right in the error message.  I was concentrating on the "not found on server" and was looking for unistall errors (since I had installed and uninstalled this service once before this attempt, but it was the FullyQualifiedErrorId that is the issue.  I was using the FQDN for the server.  It requires just the server name.

Solution:
When entering the command:
Start-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance servername
just use the server name as opposed to the FQDN.

No comments:

Post a Comment